Interested in becoming a KMP Mentor?
A KMP Mentor is a professional who provides support, industry related guidance and advice to a skilled newcomer to help them build professional networks, increase their knowledge of recruitment practices and have a better understanding of their profession locally to secure well-matched employment.
We continuously recruit mentors to match with mentees for each cycle. Our next cycle commences in late August 2022.
KMP has been helping skilled newcomer professionals improve their employment potential by matching them with mentors from their industry or occupation. This short video highlights some of the key statistics about mentors who have joined the program.
Have you had trouble securing or retaining staff?
The looming skills shortage in Western Australia poses a problem for a variety of industries, including, agriculture, manufacturing, hospitality and engineering.
Becoming a mentor with the award winning Kaleidoscope Initiative connects possible employers to a network of skilled migrants, hopeful to secure a position relevant to their previous experience.
Harness the benefits of a more diverse workforce by becoming a mentor and connect yourself to an untapped migrant resource!
Why should I become a mentor?
Mentors are leaders. They give back to their professional communities. They coach others to achieve their full potential and work effectively with people from different backgrounds and experiences in today’s diverse workplace.
As a valued mentor in our Kaleidoscope Mentoring Program (KMP), you have the opportunity to:
- Share your knowledge about your industry/profession based on your own experiences
- Help a newcomer in your field put their skills and experience to work for a Western Australian business or company
- Motivate and support a skilled newcomer professional to realise their full potential in Australia.
In return, you will benefit from:
- Developing your own mentoring, communication and leadership skills
- Enhancing your cross-cultural competence by working with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Improving your understanding of the issues and barriers experienced by newcomers in Australia
- Connecting yourself to an untapped migrant resource.
Just 23 hours of your mentoring time over three months can change someone’s life for good.
“If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” — Isaac Newton
Listen to what our past mentors have to say about KMP:
KMP mentor eligibility criteria
Do you want to be a KMP mentor? That’s great, we would love to have you onboard! To sign up to be a mentor you must:
- Have worked for at least two years in your field/profession/industry in Australia
- Commit to a minimum of 23 hours of your time over three months for mentoring (18 hours of mentoring + 1 hour Mentor induction session + 2 hours Orientation Session + 2 hours Cultural Competency)
- Want to share your industry knowledge and contacts with others
- Be thinking about your professional legacy and what you will contribute toward your organisation and the people who work with you
- Have a National Police Clearance Certificate issued within the last 6 months.
As a mentor, you need to:
- Provide details on your professional background and other additional information in your application so that we can best match you with a mentee
- Provide a National Police Clearance Certificate issued within the last six months.
- Attend the KMP Induction, Orientation session, Cultural Competency sessions, and End of Cycle events.
- Work with your mentee to determine their employment goals and set targets related to job searching, networking, professional development, etc.
- Seek support from the mentoring coach, if needed, for a referral to resources, troubleshooting, etc.
You can help a skilled newcomer professional reconnect with their career!
How does the mentor application process work?
Signing up is an easy four-step process. Here’s what you can expect from the registration process.
- Complete the Mentor Application Form: Complete the Mentor Application Form providing information about yourself, your work and skills. You will need to supply your current CV/Resume and your National Police Clearance Certificate issued within the past six months.
- Wait for your match: Based on the information you provide in your application, we will match you with a newcomer professional who shares your professional background. Please note that we can only match a mentor if a relevant skilled mentee from your profession/industry applies. This may mean you will have to wait until a suitable/relevant mentee applies and may not be in the immediate upcoming cycle.
- Talk to the mentoring coach: Our mentoring coach will contact you again when we have found a potential mentee match for you.
- Meet your mentee: If you agree with the match we suggest, we’ll invite you to take part in an induction and orientation session to get started in the program.
Become a KMP Mentor
We are continuously recruiting mentors whom we will match with mentees in our upcoming mentee intake.
- Review the ‘Why you should become a mentor’ information and eligibility criteria above
- Frequently asked questions on becoming a mentor
After submitting your application, the Kaleidoscope team will review it and contact you to confirm your acceptance into the program. If we find a suitable match for you, our mentoring coach will get in touch and take you through the rest of the process. If we do not receive an application from a mentee from your industry, we will keep your application in our database for future cycles.