What is our Mentoring Program about?
The Kaleidoscope Mentoring Program (KMP) helps newcomers (migrants and refugees) professionals reconnect with their careers by connecting them with a mentor from their own profession/field in Australia to guide and mentor them. Having the guidance, encouragement and support of a trusted and experienced mentor can provide a mentee with a broad range of personal and professional benefits.
For mentees, some key benefits of mentoring include:
- Advice on developing strengths and overcoming weaknesses
- Exposure to new ideas and ways of thinking
- Guidance on professional development and advancement
- Increased visibility and recognition within the professional network
- The time to ask questions without fear of judgement
- The opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge specific to the mentee’s profession
- An insight into the mentee’s profession/field in Australia
- Occupationally specific professional networks to assist with career goals.
This program also includes our five day job readiness workshop which has proven to be highly beneficial in assisting mentees to secure employment in their profession.
At the Job readiness workshop mentees will get:
- Advice on how to develop a career strategy that will restore confidence and provide direction
- Job search strategies to help mentees find jobs that suit their skills
- Advice on how a mentee can adapt their resume to a format preferred by Australian employers and tailor it to the selection criteria advertised in the positions
- Valuable interview techniques and effective networking skills which will help mentees to communicate and present in a more favourable way
- A deeper understanding of Australian workplace culture
- Connections with other migrants and a feeling of belonging.
Ready to apply?
We are currently accepting expressions of interest from mentees for 2022 – Cycle 2 which runs from August to November 2022. Applications for this cycle will open on 18 July 2022. We encourage anyone who is thinking of applying for the program to complete the expression of interest form and to attend one of our online information sessions for mentees.
- Click here for more information on becoming a KMP mentee and the eligibility criteria.
- Click here to view frequently asked questions on becoming a mentee.
Timeline for KMP 2022 – Cycle 2
The three-month mentoring program runs from August to November 2022. Scroll down to view the program timeline.
|7, 12 & 19 July||Online information sessions for future mentees|
|18 July 2022||Applications open for mentees|
|3 August||Online information session for future mentors|
|Year round||Applications open for mentors|
|31 July 2022||Applications close for mentees|
|up to 23 August||Mentees and mentors receive notification of their mentoring match.|
|23 August||Mentee induction session (online evening)|
|25 August||Mentor induction, training and networking session (online evening)|
|28 August||Mentees and mentors to confirm match and return signed contract|
|29 August – 2 September||Mentee Job-readiness Workshop sessions (online daytime)|
|8 September||Orientation session|
|20 & 22
|Cultural Competency sessions (online evening) – attend only one session|
|13 October||Career Mindset (online evening)|
|25 November||Mentoring program concludes|
*Dates subject to change.